May 28, 2013

The 31-Day Nail Challenge: Day 18 - Half Moons

Today is Day 18 and the theme is Half Moons! I've never done a half moon manicure before, so this is another first for me!



My inspiration for today's mani came from this necklace. I recently got it from a store called Hurs in Singapore. To me, it gives off ancient Egyptian vibes, so that's the direction I went in for today's nail art design!

The first picture shows the mani with a glossy finish and the second one shows the mani with matte half moons and tips.



I used circular sticker labels to cover the half moons as I painted the uncovered part of my nails with 4 thin coats of Revlon Platinum Angel. Reinforcement stickers are the usual tools for doing half moon manis, but circular sticker labels are easier to find for me so I used those. Platinum Angel is a sheer platinum white with a fine shimmer. The formula is a little thin so it did take quite a few coats to reach opacity and to make the nail line invisible. But that's alright with me because I really like this shade. It's a nice not-in-your-face white that doesn't look like correction fluid when you wear it on its own.



After I painted the fourth coat, I peeled off the sticker labels and got the half moons. I used my favorite brush to paint the necklaces on the tunics. The outline was done with Arezia in black. I filled it in with FACE it GL112, a matte gold. The gold need not be matte since I covered the necklaces with top coat, anyway. That particular polish just happened to be the closest shade I had to the real-life necklace.



I let the gold dry halfway, then I grabbed a needle, dipped it in Revlon Colorstay Fall Mood, and added the texture on the necklaces by lightly dotting them. Fall Mood is a copper shimmer.



I applied a layer of top coat over the whole design and started to take pictures once the top coat had dried, but then I wondered how the mani would look if the half moons and the tunics were matte, so I had to give it a try! I coated them with Sasatinnie Magic Matte Top Coat. They dried to a completely matte finish, unlike in one of yesterday's manis.

What do you think? Matte or glossy?

Stay tuned tomorrow for the next theme!

4 comments:

  1. I love your nails! They look so pretty! I can see you're also a new blogger so I will definitely support you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, that means a lot to me! <3 Thank you so much! :D

      Delete
  2. I agree with the Egyptian vibe the necklace looks like the wings of Isis, nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my same thought! Thank you so much! :D

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...