June 10, 2013

The 31-Day Nail Challenge: Day 31 - Recreate Your Favorite Challenge & Polish Days: To Boldly Go

Hello! Today's the last day of The 31-Day Nail Challenge! The next Polish Days event is also coming up, so I decided to make this a 2-in-one manicure!



Initially, I wanted to do another Inspired by Artwork mani for the 31st day. I wanted to recreate Van Gogh' Starry Night. But then I saw a bunch of galaxy tops and skirts on my news feed and decided to do an Inspired by Fashion mani instead. I had never done a proper galaxy manicure before (I did this for Galaxy nails day), so I looked for a tutorial. I've seen one before but I've never actually tried it, so I watched that video again. It's by cutepolish. So this is also under Inspired by a Tutorial!

I started with 2 coats of Arezia in black. Then I sponged on some white, yellow, pink, and blue polishes. I used The Face Shop WH002 (white), FACE it YL701 (yellow), Revlon Really Rosy (pink), and Revlon Mysterious (blue). I used a toothpick dipped into the white creme to dot the large stars and I applied two layers of a fine glitter polish (I used Caronia Platinum Glitter) to mimic the small stars. I didn't apply any top coat yet because I was still going to put a design on top.





When I was looking for galaxy pictures, I came across a few images of the planets. I noticed that the surface of Jupiter looks like water marbling. So I painted a white circle on my index finger, grabbed a tiny cup, placed a few drops of Revlon Red Bikini and Revlon Phantom Angel, created the swirls with a pin, and dipped my nail in. I got rid of the excess polish, pulled my nail out of the water, and saw the mini Jupiter on my index finger! The water marble design did extend over the white circle, so I took a cotton bud dipped into polish remover and lightly ran it over the parts where I don't want the orange swirls.


I repeated the same process on the ring finger, but with a smaller white circle since I was trying to paint one of Jupiter's moons. I used The Face Shop YL701, a pale yellow creme, and China Glaze Concrete Catwalk, a dark gray creme.


After clean-up, I applied a layer of top coat on the entire mani, and that was it! I just finished The 31-Day Nail Challenge! With an inspired by artwork/inspired by fashion/inspired by a tutorial/galaxy/water marbled/glitter/blue manicure! Hooray!


In case you missed any of the challenge prompts, here's a round-up post of all the manis!


This is also my submission for this month's Polish Days theme! The theme is To Boldly Go, and we can do anything sci-fi-related. Hannah, the host of the event, suggested that this would be a good excuse to give the galaxy manicure a whirl if we've never done it before, and that's exactly what I did!

Check out all of the other submissions for this month's theme!


13 comments:

  1. wow, it looks awesome!I really like the center of the nail, where are brighter colors :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! What a great idea to put a watermarbled planet on one nail!!! Never seen it before and it is so cool!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I was a bit worried that there was too much going on in one mani, so I'm glad to hear that! Thank you so much! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, great job!!! I like the design on the third finger the most because of the colors on it :D I've yet to try galaxy nails.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesomeness...me likey!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow these are stunning! Love how you've done the planet as a water marble, what an awesome idea! ;D


    Aysh xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. The design looks so realistic, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hannah/Polly PolishJune 12, 2013 at 4:35 PM

    Awesome galaxy nails x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...